Sunday 18 August 2013

Testing, testing... can anyone hear me?

It's been a while since I blogged (discounting the threat this morning to inflict something other than seat covers on an unsuspecting public) and I need to find out how to upload photos. Yes, my old brain has forgotten.



I've been on holiday for the last two weeks, due to lack of preparation, money and enthusiasm on the part of my two resident teenagers* we didn't go anywhere. My other half (better known as "chef") decided that we should get out on our bikes. We live close to the Dutch border so it's very flat round here, and there are a lot of well signposted cycle routes. In the first week we stayed close to home and cycled round here, but in the second week we decided to be a bit more adventurous: cycling along the Rhine from Düsseldorf to Köln. Our plan: cycle to the station, take the bikes on the train to Düsseldorf, cycle along the river to Köln then get the train home.

You can buy a bike ticket for €3 for a single journey or €4.50 for a day ticket, so for an additional €9 we could take the bikes on as many trains or buses as we fancied. The double decker train to Düsseldorf has a train section at the front, the seats are arranged along the sides of the carriage. They fold up so that the bikes can lean against them and there are seatbelt type things to prevent them flying around.


So there it is. My bike on the way to Düsseldorf.


*it may shock people who know me to realise that they are now 15 and 16...

2 comments:

Magwitch said...

I hope it enjoyed the journey and didn't get train sick

Sho said...

it got very tired though and had to drink lots of beer. Or was that me?