Wednesday 4 August 2010

Day 22 - Wednesday, 4th August 2010

Bus heaven

Yawn. Morning - everything like clockwork. I took the 07:18 train today as I knew I'd be a bit later in the office, but I think - all in all - I prefer the earlier train.

It was quite chilly this morning and I was glad of my cardigan.

This afternoon I took the regular bus at 17:17 - it was very nearly on time. Instead of fainting and having to wait another 30 minutes for the next bus, I got on and perched on the edge of my seat, ready to jump off - one stop early - and power-walk to the next stop.

Which I duly did. It was a bit of a strain really, I've been reading a Dick Francis (Even Money - the latest paperback from him and Felix and I was itching to get back to it but I was worried I'd miss my stop). The next bus was on time. This was all getting to be a bit much for me and I again perched on my seat ready to jump off and sprint for the train.

In the event there was no need - but there wasn't long to wait before the train arrived - 2 minutes early. This was looking promising. At Mönchengladbach I fairly flew off the train, down the stairs, along the passage, up the stairs and my feet barely touched the platform as I hurtled towards the train. But, alas, I was within feet of my goal when it pulled off and started its merry journey to Aachen.

Curses!

It wasn't all bad though - now I had ten minutes reading time and got through a particularly exciting bit of my book while I waited for the next train. It was drizzling as I cycled home but I didn't care, it was warm, my book was safely packaged up in a plastic bag and for once all my connections had worked (taking the 17:59 from Mönchengladbach doesn't feature in the planning on the Deutsche Bahn's website - so in theory I was actually 12 minutes ahead of schedule! I'm beginning to wonder, in fact, if the 17:59 is a ghost train.)

Having anticipated another boring blogging day, I decided this morning to take the precaution of photographing buses and trains.

So, make a cup of tea while I get my anorak on, and then come back and gaze, lovingly, at Germany's finest!

Departure point - Erkelenz station



My train! (when I say 'my' what I mean is - I have to share it with a lot of other people, but it's my train)



Endstation - Willich-Anrath Really, it's what a one-horse-town would look like, if it actually had a horse.



And the first bus... The notoriously late number 71



The notoriously "disappearing from view" number 87



Actually, I lied. I don't have an anorak. But I think, judging by those photos that I need to get one pronto. Preferably with a drawstring around the hood. Oh and while I'm at it, I'll get a Thermos flask for my tea.

No comments: